Disk Detective Talk

Hello, Disk Detectives!

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello, Zooites of Disk Detective!

My name is Darren--DZM here on Talk--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on a few projects, first and foremost an overhaul of this Talk system. I’m also going to try to be a regular on these boards going forward, so I wanted to say hello and get to know everyone here on Disk Detective!

If you have any additional ideas for how Talk can be improved, I’d love to know. I’ll also be looking for any other ways in which I can help out, so I’m always interested in hearing from you all—questions, concerns, ideas, anything.

I’m emphatically not an astronomer, so any contributions that I might attempt to make to the project from a citizen-science perspective are purely amateur. 😃 I’m hoping to learn a lot from you all, though! I’ll be around these boards as often as possible, looking for any other ways in which I can help out, so I’m always interested in hearing from you--questions, concerns, ideas, anything.

Hope to do some science together; see you all around!

DZM

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to DZM's comment.

Hi DZM
    Good to know someone is trying to improve and make this Talk section more user-friendly
    In my case I would like a better messaging system, it's slow like sending an email when we're far more used to chat messages.
    Some users don't see the messages, the icon is so small that seems hidden in the page.

I am a moderator and users often ask for help but I cannot respond quickly with this system.

Well this is for now.
    Welcome to Disk Detective 😃
    Fernanda

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thanks, Fernanda! Yes, I certainly have heard plenty of comments about the messaging system. We're definitely working to make it better in the redesign... and it's good to have practical anecdotes to understand what elements need changing and why. Thank you!

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

Hello Darren, nice to meet you and welcome. Regarding the search engine on Talk, sometimes when I do an ID search, e.g. AWI0002d9j, I got 0 result. I can only find image if I have collected or commented on it. When I try to do a new search, the Type and Category all turn grey. I would love to have a more efficient Search engine in the future. That's it for me so far 😃

Lily

Posted

I forgot I can find the object by posting it 😃

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

No; fellow stargazers; I did not jump ship; it was in port for repair. I'm so glad to be back. I see by the few frames that I have done that the SED's have become more complex. Any advice on analyzing a goodcandidate or is previous (6 months ago) criteria still the same? Have we help discover that new world yet? (any results from our observations?)

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to onetimegolfer's comment.

Welcome back Phillip !!!

About the SEDs, you will encounter more stars than galaxies, quasars, etc that we had in the first batch.
    That's good, but we have to be more careful because at first you think they are all good candidates. 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello @voyager1682002, thank you for the welcome and the note! I will be pressing the developers very hard to come up with a better, competent search engine. We have received a lot of feedback on this issue, so it is very high-priority. Thank you very much for mentioning it!

Posted

Hi Phillip, nice to know you are back! One more thing, we have more images with multipleobjects and contaminations than ever before 😃 Some objects that are around the main target are very faint, so they are very hard to see.

Posted

Thankyou voyager1682002 & Pini2013 for the welcome back: We are truly dependent on mostly visual elimination now I see. A salute to the mastermind in SED selection gathering.

Posted

Hello to DZM can you put a trigger in (talk) when a stargazers' name is posted to signal a direct message to that person named? Direct messages would not post to talk...

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Since astronomy-related projects in Zooniverse are abundant, maybe it would be nice to have easy access on Vizier links for several projects, including this one, Galaxy Zoo and a few others.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hello @onetimegolfer! That's actually a fantastic idea... as in, you would get a message saying "@onetimegolfer, @DZM has mentioned you in a comment"? That had occurred to me, but I forgot about it until now. Thank you!

@artman, also an excellent suggestion, although that should be covered by a unified Talk that makes it much easier to generally navigate between projects. Good identification of the issue, though!

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer in response to DZM's comment.

#DZM Can you hear me? I recieved your message 4 hours late.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to artman40's comment.

This is a very cool idea! 😃

For extra-galactic objects, I've mostly gone to NED, either directly or via SDSS. I know others prefer to use the CDS portal, which has direct links to VizieR, Simbad, Aladin, ...

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

If anyone would like to know a bit more about me and my role, there's a new Zooniverse blog post up from Chris Lintott introducing me.

Feel free to check it out, and I'm happy to answer any additional questions that you might have! 😃

Posted

Great Darren
    About Talk : I like the changes so far 😉

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thank you, @Pini2013 ! More to come, I hope!

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

One thing about talk page: it's not just the talk page that refuses to work sometimes, it's also the messages page.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

How so, @artman40? What doesn't work?

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

I click the envelope icon and the screen just stays white aside from the top black menu bar. It happens sometimes, not all the time.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. It generally fixes itself within a few minutes, though... And it always seems to fix itself right when I try to show a developer the problem! 😦

Posted

You are right, Darren, it happens to me too once in a while, mine is "Recent". I think is loading problem 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

It's annoying, but it seems to just be an occasional and temporary loading bug that's hard to replicate... so I'm not sure what we can do at this point, except to make sure that the next generation of talk generally runs more smoothly. Which is on our list; promise! 😃

Posted

I tend to ignore it nowadays because I know that it will go back to normal sooner or later 😃

Posted

Hi Darren
    This message system is awful. I just received a message from other user after 7 days 😦
    I think this is worse than a loading problem.

Saludos
    Fernanda

Posted

• abraham47 by abraham47

Hello All,
    I just joined today....found this curious and I would put my best efforts even though I look bit fresher and novice in this compared to you all...
    Cheers..!!

Posted

• Reyajh by Reyajh

@abraham47 --> Hey-O!! Nice to meet. I too am a novice and fascinated by this whole subject, so you are not alone!!! 😄

@DZM --> Hello also. Glad to see some thought is going into this. *One thing I'd like to see is the scrub bar be activated whenever a target is mentioned in a post. Like it is in the Profile page under "My Recent Objects" or as in the "My Collections" section. I personally prefer the scrub bar's more precise control. Perhaps I'm not alone in that. 😛

On a broader note, I think a section, perhaps in the "Featured Discussions" area, that would be a sort of in-depth tutorial/What's new in the field section, organizing information that breaks down the more complex aspects of this field of research such as "Nomenclature" "SED Interpretations" "The various search sites like skyserver, VizieR, SIMBAD, et al." each with Links to info here as well as online articles and videos added by individuals, organized by moderators, mixing both what's new/and or exciting in the field and tutorial centered, all into one place. Let me emphasize; I'm not saying that a lot of this isn't already here, there is a lot of good information, and article links as well, but for example I still don't know what types of stars are on the do not want list. And if I want to go deeper, what all of that means...

Just some thoughts.

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to Reyajh's comment.

Glenn, please check your email. You have an invitation 😉

Posted

• Reyajh by Reyajh

Oh, yes.., thank you so much!! 😮

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Reyajh's comment.

Thanks for all the feedback, @Reyajh ! Definitely a lot of what you talked about is set to be addressed in one way or other in the new Talk and in upcoming project builds. Stay posted! 😃

Posted

• Jellogum by Jellogum

Hi, My name is Jeremy. I am working to meld games with open source projects and education. For example, I am developing some software called GISZoo and GISCell, which in time will dovetail some features of Zooniverse with my project. I am here to explore how to infuse various Zooniverse projects into my game. I am also trying to convince Star Citizen developers that aspects of their game should include Zooniverse projects to enhance in-game play while helping to promote the goals of Zooniverse projects.

Can someone offer a contact that I can use to discuss if it is possible to meld software between my project and Zooniverse?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I've responded to him elsewhere, DD folks. 😃

(In case you didn't see it, Jeremy, hit me up at darren@zooniverse.org )

Posted

• Ddbarrett by Ddbarrett

Hey everyone,

My name is Devan. I am a veteran of the Army. I have been an enthusiast of astronomy for years now. I have been out of the Ioop for some time learning about this as I go. Its nice to take part in something this big and important. Hopefully I can help things along.

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to Ddbarrett's comment.

Thanks @Ddbarrett, hope to see you here again 😃

Posted

• leonie_van_vliet by leonie_van_vliet

Like to reintroduce myself my name is ~ Leonie~ and I have been working on DD for quite sometime until for reason unknown
    I haven't been able to go to comment. Really wishing to come back in the complete system, not just to classify! Having no acces is
    a bit odd! Who likes to solve this issue with me, it would be much appreciated!... ☆

Leonie-van-Vliet 😃

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to leonie_van_vliet's comment.

Hi, Leonie, I am not sure what you mean by "I haven't been able to go to comment." Since you are able to make comment on Chat and I saw your comment here https://talk.diskdetective.org/#/subjects/AWI0003vnd Which part of comment area you are not able to access.

Posted

Hello my name is Nicky, I am onetimegolfer's grandson . Although I cannot have a account for myself because I am not allowed to have an Email at my age of 9. My grandfather and I are learning diskdetective together. We have done 10 so far and I am very interested in this project. Maybe one day I will get call name of my own.

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to onetimegolfer's comment.

Hello, Nicky! Welcome to DD. We are very happy to have you here 😃 keep up the good work!

Posted

• leonie_van_vliet by leonie_van_vliet in response to voyager1682002's comment.

Hello voyager1682002,

Sorry for responding so late! The problem is the fact, that after classifying I am unable to go to "talk" it will go straight to recent
    & profile instead, with no acces to give a comment on the subject just done. Thought I give it another try today, no luck...
    Able to classify but not able to acces to comment. Weird isn't ? 

~Leonie

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to leonie_van_vliet's comment.

Hi @leonie_van_vliet
    It's very weird.
    Are you using the bottom for "chat discussion" (at the top of the image) to go to the talk section?

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to leonie_van_vliet's comment.

Leonie, could you show us a screen shot of where you end up after classifying and "talk" page problem so that we know exactly what's going on. Thanks.

Lily

Posted

• leonie_van_vliet by leonie_van_vliet

Reply to voyager 168202,

Sending 2 screenshots, as you see no link to the "comment' page in between because there is none!

/Users/leonievanvliet/Desktop/Schermafbeelding 2016-08-09 om 10.49.35.png/Users/leonievanvliet/Desktop/Schermafbeelding 2016-08-09 om 10.50.13.png

Thank you Lily for responding it is appreciated! 😃

~Leonie

Posted

My pleasure, Leonie 😃 I have sent you a message (PM). In the mean time, you can join our Advanced User Group by sending an email to diskdetectives@gmail.com if you have done more than 300 classifications.

Lily

Posted