Disk Detective Talk

Obsessively Big And Funky Giants Killing Mammoths O.o

• Reyajh by Reyajh

Now, I sure hope that got your attention :p

Okay, if you are like me, trying to learn all these Spectral types for all these stellar classifications I came up with this type of acrostic (not sure if that's the right word for it.) that may be helpful. The types of "Main Sequence stars", as seen in "The Classification of Stars" post are listed from largest and also hottest to smallest and also coolest.
    Thus we have:

(O)-bsessively (B)-ig (A)-nd (F)-unky (G)-iants (K)-illing (M)-ammoths, and we can see from this that from O to M we are going from largest to smallest. Plus we all know that those poor old woolly mammoths were well adapted to the cold and unfortunately died out around 10,000 years ago during the last ice age, at least from their mainland habitat..

Just remember that above^ is for "Main Sequence Stars!" (*.~)

Now for the "Giant" Types of Stars (Low mass stars near the end of their lives) Their Spectral Classes are "mainly" G-K-M Starting with their namesake & Spectral Classification of G for Giants. They are (again mainly) (G)-iants (K)-illing (M)-ammoths 😛

Then we have those "White Dwarf's" type stars which are dying remnants of an imploded star, hence their Spectral class, the new "D" for Dying.

Lastly, just one more, We have those "Supergiant Stars" (High mass stars near the end of their lives) and well, they can be just about whatever they want because they're Supergiants!!! (O-B-A-F-G-K-M) Just remember, yes they're near the end of their lives, but they're not (D)-ying.

-Hope this helps, or at least you got a laugh.

Feel free to flame or post comments... (`.')

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to Reyajh's comment.

Thanks Glenn!

Useful and very funny 😃

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

Think Tank? I believe we have a "working ocean of thoughts" Nice Reyajh

Posted

• kmasterdo by kmasterdo

Thanks! As already said, useful and funny. 😃

Posted

• Reyajh by Reyajh in response to Pini2013's comment.

Thanks all!! @onetimegolfer. I originally did it for the "Main Sequence" types stars, not realizing that was only 1 type of star class that the data was describing... When I realized of the other types I had to extend it and it all just kinda fell together 😮

Posted