Disk Detective Talk

Thinking of participating

• JohnReed by JohnReed

Hey Folks,

I'm new here. Name is John Reed, pretty obvious from my handle. I'm in Northern California, USA.

I'd like to join a citizen science group and this looked interesting. Couple of questions. How long has this project been going, and how long is it expected to last?

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to JohnReed's comment.

Well Disk Detective is one of the new projects of Zooniverse, we are here since January. Maybe someone from the science team can tell you how long it's expected to last.
    You are welcome to join Disk Detective, really we hope to see you here 😃
    Fernanda

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

Hi JohnReed Im in the east ; very exciting stuff here ; I have read that there are about 174 million objects to look at and since I have only completed 5000 in two months they sure need help. Hope others will join so we can add to the .5 million the program has done since it started. Even if your experience is like mine consisting of looking at the sun through welding goggles you will do great. Welcome.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Good to see another newcomer! Note though that we are still waiting for the second batch of data. You should view good candidates from favorites of various users in the meantime to find out what a candidate might look like.

Posted

• JohnReed by JohnReed

You mean, the data that's live right now is no longer necessary and the classifying I've done so far was for nothing? Eh, I wish that info had been provided on the front page.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Actually, it's like we have similar (but not identical) situation to Snapshot Serengeti where already classified data remained open to classify until the next data was released. This increased the accuracy of the data. Of course, Snapshot Serengeti is a classification-type project demanding accuracy while Disk Detective is a discovery-type project demanding fidelity.

So having this data helps to identify additional good candidates that many of us have missed.

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to JohnReed's comment.

John:
    The data are still being analyzed, and aren't going to disappear with the upload of the next bunch. So start to classify all you can to get a taste of of this exciting project. Just two users have classified all the data. The rest of us, we are still working 😉

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

Hi John, I am still classifying the data, your effort will not go wasted. As artman40 said, you might spot a good candidate that the rest of us have missed 😃

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator

Indeed John, don't give up and keep working, the more the merrier, I recently passed the 5000 mark but I have the goal of analyze all, a long shot but hey, what is science without a little of effort? 😉

Posted