Disk Detective Talk

Hello to all the Disk Detectives!

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

Welcome to Disk Detective! Feel free to post an introduction of yourself, so we can get to know one another in this amazing community 😃

My name is Lily. I am from Singapore. I have joined the Zooniverse for about 6 years.

Happy posting!

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator

Hi ! My name is Fernanda. I'm from Argentina. I'm new at Zooniverse, I have joined last year. My favorite projects are Disk Detective and Planet Hunters, but now I'm here all the time 😃

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

Finally got my favorites straightened out and posted. Prior to this project ;my experience at this subject consisted of "looking at the sun with a pair of welding goggles." Hello to all; my name is Phillip. I live in LA (lower Alabama USA) . Im retired and this project is a childhood dream to be a part of space exploration. I can remember the news of rocket launches in Huntsville Alabama and yes even Sputnik.
    I wish to thank all that have assisted me the last 2 months (It seems that long). I am thick skinned when it comes to constructive criticism so if Im not doing right let me know. you will only make me a better star gazer.

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to onetimegolfer's comment.

Phillip: thanks for being part of this amazing community like Lily said 😃

We want more detectives here!
    Don't be shy, tell us who you are, even if it's only your name and where are you from.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Let's just say I joined Zooniverse community because I didn't find anything really that productive to do. Aside from Disk Detective, I also contributed to Sunspotter. Now I contribute to Seafloor Explorer and Snapshot Serengeti.

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator

Disk Detective is becoming like a second home for me now 😃

Previous to this I have participated in several pages like stardust@home and Cosmoquest, and in other projects of Zoouniverse like Radio Galaxy, Planet Hunters and the old Ice Hunters. I always wants to find ways of contribute with science, even using BOINC in all my computers.

Posted

Hi Shigeru, I am still with stardust@home and I really missed the old Ice Hunters 😃

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator in response to voyager1682002's comment.

Oh! I was thinking what you could be the same voyager, nice! I made a couple of visits to stardust, want to return but I'm focusing my free time here now 😃

Ice Hunters was awesome indeed!

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to Shigeru's comment.

Yes, is me! Stardust is my first CS project. I used to be with Planet Hunters but now I am here instead.

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator in response to voyager1682002's comment.

Amazing, Stardust was also the first for me! (along with BOINC for my computers)

Nice to have you here 😃

Posted

Nice knowing you Shigeru 😃

Posted

• jdebes by jdebes scientist, admin

I'm John Debes, part of the science team. You can find my bio on the team page. Beyond that, I have loved thinking about planets around other worlds since I was a little kid and was watching Star Wars and Star Trek, so astronomy is like a dream come true!

I'm also very happy to know so many people are enjoying Disk Detective.

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to jdebes's comment.

This project feels like an amazing adventure for me, has a playful spirit ,who knows what we might find?.
    I can help and also have fun!

I'm happy to be part of this group, thanks John...And May the Force be with You! LOL

Posted

• Haian by Haian

Hi everyone, My name is Haian I'm from Syria. I'm here because It's interesting to be Planet Hunter. Also I learn form Disk Detective.

Posted

Hi Haian, welcome to the DD community, it's great to have you here with us 😃

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator in response to Haian's comment.

Welcome Haian, nice to have you here in DD 😃

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator in response to jdebes's comment.

Thanks to you and all the team for giving us this opportunity to colaborate as Pini2013 says, it's like an adventure! 😄

Posted

• Garlandiana by Garlandiana in response to jdebes's comment.

Hello John! I know you and Luisa ( Irebull ) ! You both have answered my questions earlier . I'm not very new here , I joined abut two or three months ago . I suppose I'm the youngest amongst all the people participating in this discussion ! I'm Torsha and I'm from India . It's nice to see so many people participating here . I love to read and write sci-fi stories ! All those UFOs and stuff gets me excited ! And I'm also crazy about universes and stuff like that ! To me , I have two career options . A sci-fi writer or an astronaut . I know it sounds really weird and all when I'm talking about careers now ( I mean I'm a 12 year old ! ) but it's really important to me . And I think , that after joining Disk Detective , my space knowledge has greatly increased , and I'm really happy about that ! I love Disk Detective ! All the best to you and the Science Team 😃 !

Posted

• abans by abans scientist, moderator

Hi everyone! My name is Alissa Bans, I'm a postdoctoral researcher at the Adler Planetarium and part of the Disk Detective science team. I'm working behind the scenes analyzing the classification data. I've always had a liking for all things disk/planet related, and I love reading and talking about astrobiology. Besides working on Disk Detective, I study dynamical processes in young disks, like planet migration and powerful dusty disk-winds (more on these later in a blog post). So I'm excited for all the new disks you will find!

Posted

• marca by marca

Hello, I posted on the wrong place, so I'll do it all over.
    I'm Marcella from Holland. I participated a few years ago in Stardust en GalaxyZoo and now I' m interested in this science work. i'm only wondereing if this project is still in progress

Posted

• marckuchner by marckuchner scientist, admin

Hi Marcella--

Nice to meet you! Yes we are very busy here at Disk Detective.
    We just uploaded many thousands of new subjects, and we're busy preparing for follow-up observing runs.
    (There's one this week at the Tillinghast telescope at Mt. Hopkins, Arizona).

Here's more about what's going on: http://blog.diskdetective.org/

Thanks for your classifications! Please keep them coming!

Best,
    Marc

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to marca's comment.

Hi Marcella! Welcome to Disk Detective 😃 I hope to see you classifying with us!

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to marca's comment.

Hello Marcella, welcome to DD. It's good to have you here 😃

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator

Welcome to this amazing community! If you are new in Disk Detective or have recently discovered the Talk section, please introduce yourself, tell us your name, where you're from or how did you find Disk Detective. Feel free to ask us any questions about the project in the discussion boards. 😃

Posted

• f2011827 by f2011827

Hello, I am Ashutosh from India. Its my first time here. I will be happy to learn from you guys about this website and projects 😃

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to f2011827's comment.

Hello Ashutosh and Welcome to Disk Detective!

Let us know if you have any questions about the project or need help.

Please read the blog. It contains interesting and useful information for the users.
    DD also has twitter and facebook, so you can follow the latest news.

Fernanda 😉

Posted

Hi Ashutosh, Welcome to DD! You can ask us anything at anytime . We all learn together here! 😃

Lily 😃

Posted

• abraham47 by abraham47

Dear All,
    I am Abraham from India...I joined here today (Jan 2015)...Unlike most of you, I never worked with any space related teams but I myself is very curious to know and study more about space and new planets...

Cheers!!

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

Hi Abraham ; My name is Phillip ; I too am a novice been with disk-detective about a year ; take things slow and read the blogs and glossary they are real helpful . The samples will get you started on the right track for good classifying and greater learning into the project.
    Welcome to the team and the support from the moderators is strong. Looking forward to seeing you on line at DD. Phillip

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @abraham47 , welcome to the project!

Actually, most of the people here are novices/laymen! That's the great thing about citizen science projects like Disk Detective. You don't have to be any type of expert. You just have to be a human being, with a human being's natural propensity for pattern recognition.

So, yeah, welcome! Thanks for being here, and good luck! 😃

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to abraham47's comment.

Hi @abraham47!

Tell us if you need help. All of us started like you 😃

Welcome to Disk Detective

Posted

Hello @abraham47

Welcome to Disk Detective. Nice to have you here!

Posted

• Reyajh by Reyajh

hi all!! I'm Glenn. Been here a couple days now and still very new to the hunt, but finding it quite enjoyable, and impressively helpful, moderators and community. I discovered zooniverse about a year and a half ago now and participated in galaxy zoo, planet hunters, the milky way project and now this... All awesome, fun & exciting to be a part of.. I, like Torsha (Garlandiana) also am an aspiring sci-fantasy writer. I've loved science all my life but didn't make it to college.. If you are young and like science don't let ANYTHING get in the way of your living that dream!!! Trust me, I'm older, I know (*.~). CHEERS ALL.

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to Reyajh's comment.

Hi Glenn, welcome to our awesome community! If you have the time, you can hop over to the Disk Detective blog. It contains a lot of information that could help you in your classification. Happy hunting 😃

Posted

• marckuchner by marckuchner scientist, admin

Welcome aboard, @abraham47 and Glenn! And thanks for your help.

Posted

• Skyfire13 by Skyfire13

The advancements in astronomy and cosmology, physics and sciences today is rewriting and advancing at an unprecedented rate and to be part of the "citizen scientist" projects is "Super Cool' so Lets Go Places !
    Skyfire13

Posted

• Reyajh by Reyajh

Hello Skyfire13 and welcome!!! Yes, so many cool and interesting things to discover... Lez Do-eet!!! :p

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer in response to Skyfire13's comment.

Welcome Skyfire 13 we are the Ion engine that keeps that momentum going. Make them holler UNCLE.

Posted

Hi @Skyfire13 welcome to DD! Enjoy the stay and happy hunting 😃

Posted

• 13lueAngeL by 13lueAngeL translator

Bonjour! Greetings everyone! My name is Manon. Am rather new to this Zooniverse project. Been for years a fervent advocate for @seti projects and discovered this project rather randomly.... I find it very exciting and at the same time, I find myself learning more every time I spend a few hours in it.... What a wonderful way to help contribute 😃 What does my head in right now is how to comprehend the SED's graphic tab when I am not sure of what am looking at and make the proper assessment. There should be a tab called Graphics for Dummies 😃 I would be on that one every single time! In the meantime of dreaming of what James Webb will bring back once operational and online.... Cordial salutations from Montreal, Canada

Posted

Hi Manon, welcome to Disk Detective! Other users also have a similar concern as you about the SEDs, you may want to take a look at these discussions :

http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/boards/BWI0000006/discussions/DWI0000iax

http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/boards/BWI0000004/discussions/DWI000014k

If you see any interesting SEDs, do tag and comment on it or ask questions. Thank you for your help 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to 13lueAngeL's comment.

Welcome to the site, @13lueAngeL -- hope that the above post by @voyager1682002 helps you out!

Great to see you here, and hope to see you on Talk and around the Zooniverse. Let us know if you have any more questions... we're here to help!

Posted

• RERR by RERR

Hi! My name is Ernesto and I'm from Mexico. I just registered yesterday and i'm very excited about this. I think it's a great idea to allow regular people help in this kind of project. I found out about Disk Detective project in NASA's website. I've read there are different projects so I definitively will be checking them out too.

Posted

Hello Ernesto ( @RERR ) , welcome aboard! Enjoy the stay and happy hunting 😃

Posted

• Astro_Engineer by Astro_Engineer

Hi! I'm a second year engineering student who loves everything-astro, so naturally I have landed here. I have never been a part of a CS project before but find them amazing! Looking forward to analyzing and classifying some awesome images. See ya around the site 😃

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to Astro_Engineer's comment.

Welcome to Disk Detective @Astro_Engineer 😃
    I hope you enjoy the project and have fun!

Posted

• mobile by mobile

In comparison to others Ive only been doing this for a short time, my name is Helga from London, Just exploring more of the disk site, and suddenly im a little worried, is there some sort of quality control in the responses we make. I would hate to mess this up, how do I know my choices are good enough, for a good percentage of the time.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to mobile's comment.

Hi @mobile --! Don't worry about messing up. Many people see and classify each subject, and everything is designed so that as long as everyone is trying their best, the researchers almost always get the correct answer. The wisdom of crowds is strong. So just try your best! 😃

If you have any specific questions, though, please feel free to ask!

Posted

Welcome @mobile! Glad to have you here! The most important thing is you enjoy and have fun doing the project! Don't worry about messing up, as DZM has said.

Posted

• fnoviell by fnoviell

Hi, I'm Fabio (Italian - based in Cardiff) . Until 3 months ago postdoc/project manager etc.. working on the Planck satellite and beyond. Now making a living as a patent examiner while doing some cosmology/stats on the side. Given that my background is in instrument/data analysis mainly @ CMB frequencies, I thought I'd try something completely different.

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to fnoviell's comment.

Hello, @fnoviell! Welcome to Disk Detective! Make sure to let us know when you have found something interesting 😃 Happy hunting!

Posted