• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator

Good News Everyone! 272,000 More Subjects http://wp.me/p496b6-2J
    Please read!!!

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

Thanks for the update ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Wonderful! At the moment I still get the old objects though.

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to artman40's comment.

Yes it will take time, but they are going to start rotating
    It's a large batch! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

So it takes a few days until we get new objects?

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to artman40's comment.

They are online now!

Posted

• TED91 by TED91 moderator

Yes,

Over 120,000 sources are now online, with 40,00 active.

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to TED91's comment.

less information on these stars in the surveys?

Posted

• TED91 by TED91 moderator in response to Pini2013's comment.

Yes, unfortunately it seems that most of these objects has less information about them, than objects in the previous batch. At least according to what I've observed so far.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Finally!
    By looking through first objects, I'm not that confident for looking those objects anymore. SED diagrams also seem very star-like with visible light obscured by dust.

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator

I agree, most part of the objects have very little information about them, this will be fun!

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

In this collection, the majority of objects are currently stars. However, It's hard to tell which are behind dust clouds and which of them are in front of it. I think a guide would be useful. Should I dismiss stars if they clearly seem to be among the many in a red circle?

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

So far I have seen a lot of stars and with some "Merged Class" - starGalaxy with 90% probability is "Star"

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Classification of these objects is indeed much slower than the first batch.

Posted

• jdebes by jdebes scientist, admin

@artman40, if you see a lot of point sources within the circle, mark as "Multiple sources within the circle" More of these objects are in the galactic plane, so they will be extincted more by dust in the visible. They should definitely look more star-like! Can you point me to some of the images you're having problems with, I can help.

Also, this is great news that there's so little information!! It means we might have to think carefully about how to follow these objects up, but we intended to cast a very wide net. The fact that we're finding things no one has looked at before is exactly what we are trying to do.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

@jdebes

http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/subjects/AWI00029f3

Objects like this.

http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/subjects/AWI0002b8i

Or this.

Should I look at error bar sizes in 22ยตm SED diagram in this case?

Posted

• arvintan by arvintan

I'm confused. If these new data are within the galactic plane, why are most of these not cataloged (no AO)? Shouldn't they already be since most are inside the galaxy?

Posted

• WizardHowl by WizardHowl

Only a small proportion of the Milky Way's stars have been catalogued - there are estimated to be on the order of 100 billion! The largest catalogues may have tens of millions of objects in them, so a long way to go, yet: Gaia will provide a catalogue of about a billion and that will really make a difference to projects like this (it will also be able to detect variability) but it will be five years before its mission is completed and longer still before the data is accessible.

On a separate note, I am finding that a lot of the objects in the Galactic Plane have promising-looking SEDs in spite of there being multiple objects within the red circle. I realise getting spectra of these may be very challenging or impossible, which is why the multiple objects criterion is there, but I'm going to comment the good SEDs I come across, for now, so long as there is just the one star that is much brighter than its neighbours in IR, or is that the wrong thing to do?

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Weird. Despite my total classification total count being only 35000, I still occasionally get duplicates, sometimes even from the first batch of data.

Posted

• jdebes by jdebes scientist, admin

@Wizardhowl it's fine to comment--we may go back over the objects with multiple components at a later time--for now we're looking for objects where it's obvious there is no contamination.

Posted