Disk Detective Talk

"Disk Detective Candidates for follow-up observations on Google Sheet"

• TED91 by TED91 moderator

Hi folks,

I thought it would be a good idea to start this post for those of us who are involved in "Disk Detective Candidates for follow-up observations on Google Sheet", so we can stay updated.

For the rest of you: You can always suggest your favorite candidates for follow-up observations here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DfmYSrg614osuLaUsac_a03dX-Bt6Ab2ep5SXC4XWHw/viewform?edit_requested=true

Marc wrote me that he discuss the target list with science team. As he learned, we're going to need the WISE 1 magnitude and the WISE 4 magnitude to understand the M stars. I add new columns, so feel free to start fill in them.

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

message read

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

Ok will do.

Posted

I also created a new sheet "All potencional targets". We could add there all potential targets, so we will be ready for all further observations (not just search for disks around stars probably). I already added 50 objects and if you want you can add more of course.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

What kind of stars are also candidates for follow-up observations other than those with disk potential?

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to TED91's comment.

In this new spreadsheet, are we making sure that these objects are not yet in the other lists?

Posted

If the object fulfills the criteria for FLWO observation, make sure that you add it here, that's more important now.

I thought that we should create one list of all potencional targets eventually, from which we select objects for a particular observing run later, so this list should contain also targets for FLWO observation eventually.

Posted

@artman40 What I meant is, that this list of stars maybe could be used even for other purposes eventually.

Posted

ok Ted 😉

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40 in response to TED91's comment.

Try these stars then:
    http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/collections/CWIS00009h
    Here are all kinds of red variable stars. Although a large portion of them are located in Small Magellanic Cloud.

http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/collections/CWIS00009i
    and
    http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/collections/CWIS00009k

I didn't add variable stars before so feel free to look them from there. I already added main sequence stars and subgiants.

Posted

I believe we are still following the suggestions sent in the last email. There was a list of the objects we want to follow. ???

Posted

I think I have a few that don't fit the current criteria, should I add them in as long as they are "star"?

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

That's my question too. Should we list southern hemisphere in the additional page? Im stuck in the southern region for targets.

Posted

They might be useful for other kind of research in the future.

Posted

@Pini2013 You're right. For follow-up observation with FLWO telescope we still follow the same criteria.

But sometime in the future maybe could be used another telescope, and other observations may have different criteria. I thought that we could put together a list of targets for these possible observations. @onetimegolfer That means both hemispheres.

In this list, you can notice that there are several objects that don't follow criteria for FLWO observation.

http://circumstellardisks.org/resolved.php

If you are able to recognize the stars which can't have disks around them, then don't add them. I'm not an expert and if I'm not sure, then I rather add this star.

Posted

The list in this link is the " catalog of resolved disks ". These are stars with known disks. What the email said was:
    "These are the objects we most want to follow up:
    Main sequence stars (aka dwarfs),
    Luminosity Class IV stars: A IV, F IV, G IV, K IV, M IV.
    F III and K III stars.
    White dwarfs.
    Objects with distance < 200 parsecs,
    Objects with proper motion > 30 arcsec/year,
    Shell stars

We don't want:

M giants, Cepheids, Be stars, galaxies, agn, blends, eclipsing binaries, O stars, supergiants.

There are also: objects where we can't tell what it is, binaries, known disks
    Those are the "Maybes". "

There is something else for M stars but I think at least we can follow this instructions for both hemispheres.
    What do you think?
    Also I agree with you that if I'm not sure of the type of the star or the object, I would rather add it than lose a possible candidate.

Posted

• TED91 by TED91 moderator in response to Pini2013's comment.

Yes, I agree with you in this.

Posted