Disk Detective Talk

This far-infrared source

• Artman40 by Artman40

http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/subjects/AWI0000qp8

This SED is almost star-like but a bit curvy. SIMBAD says it's a star. What could it be?

Posted

• lrebull by lrebull scientist, translator, admin

Ah, this may be a star with a disk around it, but with no disk close to the star -- in our jargon, an "inner disk hole"! this could be a very interesting target.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Could it also be an object shrouded by dust as it is located in Small Magellanic Cloud? On the other hand, other dust-enshrouded stars there have different SED light curves. I bet it cannot be resolved though.

Posted

Well, if it's got an SED that is close to a photosphere (plain star) for several bands, then we must be able to see the photosphere (e.g., not be looking through a dust shell) for those bands. The excess at longer bands then probably comes from a ring.

Re: resolution - I had a blog post today on resolution of disks and rings (http://blog.diskdetective.org/2014/02/20/thats-no-moon/ ) but I think what you are getting at is, if this thing is in the LMC, then because of the number of sources per bit of area on the sky, then the chances of there being more than one (or even two) sources within the blob of light attributed to this source is indeed greater than in regions where there are fewer sources per bit of area on the sky. We call this source confusion, and that could indeed create false excesses.

Posted

• abans by abans scientist, moderator

Great find! And yes, it could certainly be a detached dust shell too, SEDs are notoriously degenerate, i.e. theorists (like myself) can fit many different physical models to explain the same SED 😃.

As @lrebull suggested, if this was a continuous gas + dust disk, it would have to have an "inner hole" , because if that inner,warmer dust were there it would be producing flux near 3 microns... which we don't see. Fun!

Posted

Oh, yes, wild degeneracies! 😃 Many, many models can fit the same SED.. especially if there are only 7 points in the SED! 😃

Posted