Disk Detective Talk

Help!

• Pamela_Foster by Pamela_Foster

After classifying a few objects, the page stops working. When I make my selections for classifications, then hit the 'finish' button, the selections I have made turn from black back to white again, and I can't finish that object. I have to sign out, then sign it again, to get a new object. Then, after another couple of classifications it happens again. Any suggestions from anyone gratefully received. (It happens on my PC, using Internet Explorer and on my IPad using Safari).

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

Hi Pamela_Foster, may I ask if you are posting a remark in talk or not? If not ; try posting a remark in talk before you hit finish and see how that does , the DD system maybe slow in getting ready for your next DDOI. Just a guess.

Posted

I don't always post a remark, but when I do it doesn't make a difference - although it is publishing the remark.
    I have tried leaving the page for minutes at a time, so it isn't just being slow, but thanks for your help onetimegolfer, I will persevere!!

Posted

• marckuchner by marckuchner scientist, admin

Thanks for the note, Pam. I passed it on to the Zooniverse developers.

Marc

Posted

Thanks, Marc.

Posted

• astopy by astopy

Hi Pamela,

Please would you be able to send me any errors that your web browser is reporting? In Internet Explorer, you should be able to click "Settings" and then "F12 Developer Tools", then click the "Console" tab. If you could do that the next time it happens and just send the last few lines from the console that should help us pinpoint the problem.

Thanks,
    Adam.

Posted

Hi Adam, thanks for getting back to me. When I followed your instructions, and clicked the 'Console' tab, nothing showed, so I tried the other tabs, when I clicked on 'network' the bottom line mentions something about 'limit 10' (see details copied below). When I log off and then on again, to try to continue, it usually only lets me do another 10 classifications, before having to log off and on again, so is that something to do with the 'limit 10' thing/???
    I find that when I first start classifying for the day, I can do more than 10, but then only another 10 or so at a time, until the next day, when I can do more again.
    I have tried using Internet Explorer, Safari and Microsoft Edge, and have also changed my password to see if that made any difference - it didn't!!
    Thanks for your time - good luck with my problem!!!
    Pam

Name Protocol Method Result Content type Received Time Initiator
    https://www.diskdetective.org/_ouroboros_api/projects/wise/subjects?limit=10 HTTPS GET 304 application/json (from cache) 565.75 ms XMLHttpRequest

Posted

• astopy by astopy

The limit being referred to there is how many images it will load in one go in the background. Your browser doesn't request new images every time you submit a classification. Rather, it loads them in batches of ten at a time since that's more efficient. When you finish the initial ten images, then it will request more.

By the sounds of it, when your browser is requesting the next batch of images it's not getting any results back. This would happen if you've already classified all of the available images. The website can only make a certain number of images available at any time, and each image has to be shown to multiple people before it's retired and new ones can be activated. Essentially, if you've already seen everything that's available you'd need to wait for the rest of the crowd to catch up before there's anything new to work on.

Unfortunately there isn't really anything we can do in that case, but if you come back after a new hours then you should be able to classify for longer without running out of images.

Posted

Thanks for your help, and time spent in looking into the issue, really appreciate it!
    Pam

Posted