Disk Detective Talk

#Known Star

• shocko61 by shocko61

Something I should have asked a long time ago , What denotes a known star ? How do I recognise a known object . Thank you , Ian

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

please explain what is meant by Published papers on debris disks and how do I recognise this ? , taken from Basic Black Belt Tips Thank you . Ian

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer in response to shocko61's comment.

that is my designation (#known) for "there's something in SIMBAD" sorry if that has confused you. It has about equal weight as #noAO (no astronomical object found) but opposite. I just did not like to type SIMBAD in its place. Others may answer in a different manner but that is my use of it

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

Known star usually means you can find information on that particular star when you click on "More info on SIMBAD" e.g. http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/boards/BWI0000007/discussions/DWI0000298

This star is HR 1082 or HD 21997 (another identifier for this star), and when you scroll down and look at the references, there are 62 written papers about the star, one of them is "Stirring in massive, young debris discs from spatially resolved Herschel images."

Lily

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61 in response to onetimegolfer's comment.

Hi onetimegolfer , not your fault and thank you , I have been writing SIMBAD in when I have found things there , but I am slow to pick things up ,when I do ,I do not usually forget , all is cool thank you , Cheers ,Ian

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61 in response to voyager1682002's comment.

Hi Lily ,IF I may call you Lily, I take it that if there is a lot of information on a "star" like several designations from different catalogs then the star is well (Known) and as you pointed out Above ,different names then I can tag it (Known) .I just want to get it right then I do not have to ask ,ask ,ask , thank you very much . Cheers , Ian

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to shocko61's comment.

Yes, Ian, you can call me Lily. I think if you use the same tag as onetimegolfer, it would be a bit confusing. I don't understand what do you mean by different names.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Thank You Lily Hi , I was saying about HR 1802 and HD 21997 Identifiers as above ,may be I should not have called them names but Identifiers . ok I have used a few # tags as (#Known ) since I was here an hour ago I think I will post a few Identifiers here, that I think are (Known ) Stars , then you can direct me in the right direction if that is ok with you , in the past I have been using #SIMBAD for things In simbad but I have not been marking any for (KnownStars ) so how should I mark an Identified (Known ) Star ,please also It is midnight here Brisbane Time zzzzzzzzzzzzz time Cheers ,Ian

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

As far as I can tell, all stars which have information on SIMABAD are given at least one identifier, as long as you see star with information when you click on "more info on SIMBAD", you can tag "known".

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61 in response to voyager1682002's comment.

Thank you very much Lily that has cleared the air . I see (again) Cheers , Ian 😃

Posted