Disk Detective Talk

Good And bad ??

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi , Is there a site where I can get a reasonable list of objects that are what you would keep and ones that you throw away I have left it a long time to ask but have been doing everything to find out how things work , Data etc. etc. and I would sooner keep a candidate incorrectly than throw away a good candidate . I hope that is understandable . Thank you . Cheers , Ian

Posted

• anoxie by anoxie

That's a great question...

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to shocko61's comment.

Ian, you can look at other users' good candidate collections and see what they consider a good candidate looks like, just click on a username, then look for "Good candidates"

Regarding the throwing away a good candidate, you may want to take a look at DD FAQ here: http://blog.diskdetective.org/2015/03/05/the-disk-detective-faq/
    Q. 6 There is no “Redo” button. What happens if I have made a mistake?

It’s okay if you make a mistake now and then. Each image will be looked at by several Disk Detectives before the final results are published. This process generally yields results that are remarkably free of errors and bias—much more so than when a single scientist looks at the data alone....

I hope it helps 😃

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi anoxie , thank you , Ian

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi voyager1682002 , I understand about mistakes , thank you . It is trying to learn what is good or not good apart from the obvious . But what you have said above will help a lot ,thank you Cheers , Ian 😃

Posted

• friedestar by friedestar

Hi, I would like to know how we could classify those objects that, for instance, can be considered (moderately) extended in the W4, but have a SED that could belong to a good candidate.
    Do we have to reject them, or could we classify them as good candidates but comment or hashtag them that are extended, or the other way round, I mean classify them as extended but hashtag them as good?

Same question if the objects show a "not round" shape in a couple of frames but have a SED typical of good candidates (I already noticed a few objects classified as good despite not being round).

So, in general, when we have uncertain cases do we have to rely more on the SED or on the fact that they must strictly fulfill the given criteria?

Thank you.

Friedestar

Posted

• rbzoon by rbzoon

Hi, I just started and in my first 10 classifications, I had two that had what looked like a mirror image circular item showing outside the red circle, changing in identical ways with the different views. I couldn't find any examples like this, nor anything in the blog. The mirror image one is outside the circle, so there is only one within the circle, but they look the same. How do I classify this?
    Thanks,
    Rosemary

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex moderator

Hi Rosemary. Do you happen to have the Disk Detective ID number for these objects, so I can take a look at them? I'm not sure exactly what you are describing without seeing the objects myself. But the mirror image is probably a nearby star or galaxy similar to the one in the circle. If this mirror image object is entirely outside the circle in all images, and the object inside the circle looks good, then I would classify as good.

Posted