Disk Detective Talk

Disk Detective Glossary

• TED91 by TED91 moderator

If you don't understand some words, or all of this is new for you, check out new Disk Detective Glossary .

We put together a glossary of some of the jargon we use in Disk Detective and John Debes and John Wisniewski wrote up the definitions. If you still don't understand something, feel free to ask here.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thanks, @TED91 ... this looks really helpful. Thank you for sharing it!

I'll go ahead and feature it, too. 😃

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator

Thanks @DZM !

Posted

• Niebieska by Niebieska

I don't understand one of the descriptions in "why it's not good candidate" classification - "not round in DSS2 or 2MASS images". What about objects circular in one of them and non-circular in another?
    In tutorial "non-circular objects in images from the DSS2 and 2MASS surveys is a sign that it's not a disk" suggests that "good candidate" must be round in all images. But in polish version of this website we have translated description and it means "not round neither in DSS2 nor 2MASS images".

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to B??kitna Czarownica's comment.

Hi @B??kitna Czarownica

Yes, the object needs to be rounded in all the images (DSS2 and 2MASS) and not extended in WISE.

Welcome to DD 😃

Posted

• marckuchner by marckuchner scientist, admin

Friends, there's also the new Disk Detective FAQ that answers some of these questions.

Posted

• 2205280 by 2205280

Hi all! What does the spectral energy distrubution actually show and how do you classify an object using it?

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to 2205280's comment.

Hi @2205280, the SED is being explained in here http://blog.diskdetective.org/2014/12/29/disk-detective-glossary, by looking at the SED, you can figure out whether the object is a star, a galaxy, a Quasar or an Active Galactic Nucleus (AGN) etc. Examples of different type of SEDs are shown here : http://blog.diskdetective.org/2015/02/. You can tag the type of object you see on Talk.

Welcome to DD 😃

Posted

• Astro_Engineer by Astro_Engineer

I should have visited this thread before I began commenting! Great stuff guys and gals! 😃

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator in response to Astro_Engineer's comment.

No problem, we all are learning here! 😃

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

To whom it may concern; Dr Kuchner has stated many times to be brutal in assigning Multiple (#1) ,the flip book definitely shows an object but in this new batch they are more faint, such as AWI00065Kn with no point of light observed. Using this object would it be classified as multiple or not. The next question I have concerns DR12 and VSX , I am working hard to learn every step of vetting the right way and since DD made adjustments for the W1-W4 dropout thereby reducing the total pool of candidates , would DD consider using VSX and DR12 to further reduce the object pool. If DD did or has already done that or would do that before the plates are presented it would save time on both ends of vetting search. My question is this, is this review process (looking at DR12 and VSX prior to presentation of plates) currently being done. If not would it be valuable to do a batch run on the targets RA DE with criteria expected. I understand that both DR12 and VSX do not cover your targets as VizieR does. but I can see the possibility of 30% reduction in targets.

Thankyou for you time. Phillip

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator in response to onetimegolfer's comment.

Hi Philip! (Hugo) here, are you sure what that name is correct? Talk don't load anything for that one.

About VSX, that page is very used during the vettings to check for variability type but like DR12 give the way what their databases are build, the chances of ending with objects lost thanks to false positives (for example when DR12 say what a object could be a "galaxy" but it's not studied yet and all the rest of the evidence tells you "star"). But DR12 is useful to gather some useful extra information in the portion of the sky what covers.

So in conclusion both are useful tools but not for first line cut but rather for the more in deep manual vetting.

Posted

Thank-you Hugo on the explanations of VSX and DR12. As far as AWI00065Kn I believe that is correct and the #goodcandidates are being pulled quicker than before. Let me check that ID and I will get back to you here.

Posted

I have written data on the object AWI00065Kn ,its not on my vet sheet or in search, also I checked 2 more off of my vet sheet and those will not come up on search in DD is that normal . I know there was a concern for object loss in the past.

Posted

Here are the coordinates for AWI00065Kn :279.1641373 -31.4232428 with #noAO #noVSX #noDR12 the question was , looking at the plates was there multiple or not (was very faint to me)

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex moderator

The object ID is AWI00065kn - small k, not capital K. As far as I know, DD object names never use capital letters.

Posted

Thankyou , I turned off auto correct, that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Posted

still will not come up in search

Posted

DD moderator,Will you check to see if these settings are the reason for my losing access to "search". Is the problem on my end or yours : https://talk.diskdetective.org/application-2016-03-15_13-36-14.css , I think it should be Arial 10 font. Thankyou

Posted

I've been told on several occasions that the DD search function is broken / partially functional. I was able to find the object directly by going to https://talk.disktective.org/#/subjects/AWI00065kn. I hope this helps.

Posted

Tried that link does not work for me, maybe this is the reason for the 600 losses that Dr Kuchner talked about, if not and there is some other reason for my problem I'm curious to know. Not paranoid but if Im not needed as a vetter I will drop back to inspector only. I wear big boy pants. LOL

Posted

As noted in previous posts, several people, including myself, have have problems with the DD website since it was changed to a secure site 2 months ago, but other people have not experienced any problems. I have had similar trouble before at other Zooniverse sites, and their advice is always to try another browser. Apparently it is very hard to track down and correct whatever is causing a particular browser to fail. I can't offer any better advice at this point; maybe someone else can.

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

Click on an image on Talk and you will see a link, e.g. https://talk.diskdetective.org/#/subjects/AWI0001xj3, just replace the image ID AWI0001xj3 with AWI00065kn, you will be able to access your missing image.

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer in response to voyager1682002's comment.

Now that worked , thankyou

Posted

Can you explain V-J>3.0 AND V-K>3.80 in terms of : Low point or High point M dwarf cutoff . Such as anything above these points are possible dwarf stars. yes or no only please. I have the vetting instructions and dont quite understand the true meaning of cutoff point.

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

As far as I know, we use V-J and V-K to determine what spectral type of an object is e.g. a late type star (K or M), according to the table in here ​http://www.stsci.edu/~inr/intrins.html
    if V-J > 2.93 or V-K > 3.98, the spectral type of the object is beyond M4.0 based on color. To determine whether an object is a late type K or M dusty main sequence star, there are other things to consider e.g. a large parallax > 10 milliarcsec or so or a high proper motion (>30 millarcsec/yr). Also, Check for large amplitude variability in the Catalina Sky Surve - a typical M dwarf lightcurve will look nearly constant. There might be some updates on the vetting guide that I do not know of because I have not been vetting for quite some time already.

Posted

I see, its the top end of the determination for M dwarfs, thankyou I have a clearer understanding of it now.

Posted