Disk Detective Talk

How "off the crosshairs" is off the crosshairs in the WISE images?

• pauldrye by pauldrye

The last couple of WISE images usually cover a fair bit of the inside of the red circle, to the point that they're noticeably not centred but the area of central brightness still overlaps the crosshairs. Is that still centred or not?

For example, consider AWI0000f4e. If an otherwise good candidate looked like the WISE 3 and 4 images of it, would that be centred or off-centre?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

For me that is a good candidate. Anyone else ?

Posted

• jdebes by jdebes scientist, admin

This is an excellent question. Between DSS, 2MASS, and WISE, small shifts may occur, because of misalignment or the motion of the object on the sky. We think you can safely ignore those. I would be more worried if you saw a shift within a set of images, like a big shift between WISE 1 and WISE 4. If you still see that "most" of the source is overlapping with the cross hairs and there aren't significant movements within the WISE images, that should be good.

The specific example you show looks good, because all the WISE images line up really well.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 in response to jdebes's comment.

Thank you - that explanation makes a lot of sense.

Posted

• pauldrye by pauldrye

Ah good then. I was being too picky on the ones I've been classifying to this point then. Fortunately, I presume that Disk Detective takes the same tack as the other Zooniverse projects and doesn't ignore things based on one or two people giving a candidate thumbs down.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

Good call, my experience with the Zooniverse is that that they take as many classifications as they can into account ! So,an honest mistake will not skew the results !

Posted

• jdebes by jdebes scientist, admin

As far as I know, the good folks at Zooniverse are using the same tried and true methods here as with other projects, and we're glad you find it fun!

Posted