Disk Detective Talk

I WANT TO CLASSIFY BETTER

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

"We are asked to do a better job of spotting multiples in the flipbooks, what do you recommend to improve that or how to accomplish that with the brightness of the screen's bright background?

Posted

Is it required to comment in talk before moving on to the next DDO?

Posted

If I do comment in talk, is there a list of codes to use to reflect what I saw in the flipbooks or SED? Such as 1.1 = #multiples

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer in response to onetimegolfer's comment.

Hello to you onetimegolfer, I find the best way to search out those # multiples is to make yourself a "cardboard cut out " with a square hole that allows you to see the target but nothing else. It has been mentioned in the past about changing the background to something else besides white . That is not possible at this time. As Dr Kuchner has said about #multiples "be vicious in wedding them out". With the cardboard cutout ; you can crank up that brightness on your screen.

Posted

Hello again onetimegolfer, No it is not required but extremely helpful to you and others to enter a comment in talk. Talk helps report on the DDO, In talk as you will notice it is here that the DDO (Disk Detective Object) becomes a DDOI (Disk Detective Object Of Interest).If there is a SIMBAD; putting the name of the star in the comments is really helpful and if it is not; putting #noAO or #noSIMBAD is also helpful. At this point if you so chose you may research further at your own pace.

Posted

Hello onetimegolfer, Yes ;there are flag codes for flipbook observations but are not normally used in Talk comments. Become a superuser and you will receive a newcomer packet with that code list. It is simpler to read #multiple ;#extended etc. for everyone in Talk at this stage. Build on the information that you provide over time.

Posted

What does it mean if in the flipbook the object has a tail?

Posted

If the object has a tail even when there are no other object in the red circle; further investigation should be done both in Aladin-lite and Vizier. In Aladin or Aladin-lite work thru the different missions (UV IR,optical) and try to determine if an additional object close by can be seen. Also as a third check go to VizieR and do a 12arcsec (make sure of your search parameters) and if more than 1 row is listed in each catalog then you probably have #multiples. ( I have observed that (Cutri+) doesn't always list a close companion) So compare all the listing in VizeiR together. If I am correct every line of information in 1 catalog represents an object. So beware of tails!

Posted