Disk Detective Talk

AWI0000I7z

• shocko61 by shocko61

I do not know what to make of this SED , Galaxy , planetary Nebula , QSO/AGN . but not knowing how to find out is worse .

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex moderator

This SED suggests the object is some sort of AGN. It is listed in NED as a galaxy and ultraviolet source (UvS); probably an AGN not yet identified as such.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi biggsjrex , I have ,so far not been able to fine out how to use NED I have had some success with VizieR and SED and SIMBAD . Could you please point me in the right direction ,? Cheers ,Ian

Posted

Hi Ian. Go to http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/, and click on the button that says "Near Position". You should bring up a page that allows you to enter coordinates and a search radius, like VizieR. You can enter coordinates for object AWI0000l7z as follows: RA: 320.1544145d DE: -58.1990363 (notice small d after RA coordinate - this site needs that). Finally, click on "near position search". This should bring up any objects in the NED database for those coordinates. Hope this helps.

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi biggsjrex , Did that with success Thank you very much . I do not know how you got the co-ords for AWI0000I7z but it has given me a lot to play with and find out what is what .Again thank you . Cheers , Ian 😃

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

I found at the top of the page when there is a Star etc. etc. in SIMBAD Co-ordinates the same as you Have for the RA: ..... DE: .......in the same format and I inserted the " d " before the DE: co-ordinates, for the NED Co-ordinates . I hope that is correct if not I stand corrected . Thank you biggsjrex . Cheers ,Ian

Posted

Hi Ian. For any object, you can always find the RA and DE coordinates in decimal form by clicking on the "More Info in SIMBAD" button on the object's "Discuss on Talk" page. Even if the object is not in SIMBAD, the screen will show the coordinates used after the message "No Astronomical Object Found". Joe

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi biggsjrex , Thank you Joe , I will have a look at that ,I find that things are starting to make sense to me it is just getting to use the data the correct way , that is most important to me . And it is with a lot of help from you and your colleagues , for which I am most grateful , thank you very much Cheers , Ian

Posted

• shocko61 by shocko61

Hi biggsjrex, I got that to work ,thank you . Ian 😃

Posted