Disk Detective Talk

DSS2 PICTURES

• chairgaf by chairgaf

I'd just like to ask what's up with the DSSR2 photos being so pixilated lately?

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to chairgaf's comment.

Hi chairgaf, DSS is a collection of Schmidt plates covering the entire sky. The plates have been scanned electronically and were processed into compressed digital form. I believe that's why some DSS images look very pixelated. I have seen quite a number of such images especially among the second batch.

Posted

• marckuchner by marckuchner scientist, admin

Good question chairgaf! When the DSS images look "pixellated" (like AWI0003u87) it's because there is no bright object in the field, and all you see is the noise. That can happen when the object we're looking at is either cool or behind a cloud of dust (e.g. when it's in the plane of the Milky Way).

Posted

• chairgaf by chairgaf

Thanks to both voyager1682002 and marckuchner! I can see where it could be either way.!

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Is it possible to add an option to correct brightness in order to make it easier to find out if objects like that are multiple or not?

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

Artman, you can use your keyboard brightness keys to adjust the brightness of the image. I am using that all the time to spot the tricky objects.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

If I had that kind of keyboard.

Posted