Disk Detective Talk

Unknown thing that's bright in infrared.

• Artman40 by Artman40

While I was headbanging to William Herschel symphonies, I found this object. This looks like a star with something that can vaguely described as diffraction spikes. SED diagram also shows rather star-like figure with small error bars. However, this object peaks its brightness in K-band (2.16 µm). SIMBAD decides to stay silent when it comes to this object.
    What is this thing?

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to artman40's comment.

See here:
    NED shows a galaxy

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Interesting. What kind of a galaxy it might be?

Posted

• TED91 by TED91 moderator

I think that NED is wrong in this case. Object seems more like a star than like a galaxy. At least to me.

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to TED91's comment.

Yes the image and SED look like a star, but I can't get more info

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Guess it's time to wait for someone who knows more about this. I think if this had been a brown dwarfs of that apparent magnitude, it would have been already discovered.

Posted

• abans by abans scientist, moderator

Well I am probably not the right scientist to answer these queries (as I am a theoretical astronomer), but this object could be a YSO disk with a huge NIR excess, possible a Herbig Ae. That said, this also looks to me like it could pass as an agn... which often give the same spectral signatures. C'est la vie! An interesting find nonetheless!

Posted