Disk Detective Talk

V* U Coronae Borealis

• Artman40 by Artman40

Apparently, this detached eclipsing binary consists a spectral class B6 main sequence star and F8 class subgiant/giant. What is a binary star like this surrounded with which makes this target visible to WISE?

Posted

• lrebull by lrebull scientist, translator, admin

Ah, if you imagine a B6 photosphere added to an F8 photosphere, you might get the SED that's actually shown in the SED button here - big, blue, bright, most of the energy from the B6, but small bump/offset/ addition to red side of SED is from the F8. Tricky, these guys.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Can systems like these host a circumbinary disk?

Posted

I don't know if this particular one does, but yes, you can get circumbinary disks. Here's part of a press release on such things: http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/images/2664-ssc2007-05a-Where-Planets-Take-up-Residence

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

So that system would make a good candidate?

Looks like that's kind of true that the only planetary-mass bodies that can be around intermediate-distance binaries are things like FW Tauri b and ROXs 42B b according to the article?

Posted

Well, based on the SED, as I was saying originally, the apparent IR excess is probably "just" light from the secondary. Might as well tag it as a good candidate, though, at least worth digging around in the literature for more information about it. The article I linked was talking about just the dust disks, but you have to have dusty disks before you have planets, as least as far as we understand it.

Posted