Disk Detective Talk

Mysterious yet rare and splendid .

• Garlandiana by Garlandiana

Could that strange little celestial body actually be a star that is dying ? A dying star . Don't you people think so ? Based on my
    observation and thinking, that blue body seems to be releasing some kind of gas , now don't take it seriously because I'm not so sure and secondly because I'm not a pro . Though , the body seems to be small but most probably , should be the size of Mars . Please add your opinions , ideas and comments if you have something new to share and discuss . Thanks .

Posted

• jdebes by jdebes scientist, admin

Could you point to a specific object you're referring to? A lot of the images will have a little variation in background due to marginally detected objects that are fainter or further away from the main object we're interested in, or just noise. Since the human brain loves to find patterns, we will often interpret this noise as a real pattern. Without the specific image it would be hard for us scientists to judge.

Posted

Thank you Jbebes ! I really appreciated your comment ! I'll try my best and work harder to help you people ! Wow ! Are you really a space scientist and are you from NASA ? If you are from NASA , then perhaps we might meet someday because when I'll complete college , I'll
    aim for NASA !

Posted

• jdebes by jdebes scientist, admin

Hey Garlandiana, thanks for the comment! Technically, I am a scientist funded by the European Space Agency (ESA), working on the Hubble Space Telescope. It is primarily funded by NASA, but had support from ESA and the Canadian Space Agency. Other team members are true NASA scientists working at NASA centers--check out our Team Page to learn all about us.

And good luck--NASA is definitely looking for hard working people who have trained in science and math--I encourage you to google "NASA intern programs" because the centers have many opportunities for students to get involved in research early!

Posted

Dear Jbebes , thanks for all your advice and good wishes ! Though , I think I should let you know that I still have a long , long way to go before I can actually reach NASA ! This might come to you as a surprise if you hear this that I'm 12 years old and am only in the sixth standard ! And , I'm here in India ! Though , I aspire to be a space scientist . So , can you please suggest scientist and guide me in my pursuit to be a space scientist ? Wish you good luck for your work !

Posted

• lrebull by lrebull scientist, translator, admin

Hi Garlandiana - Here is a great page that has some general guidance for being an astronomer: http://www.noao.edu/education/being-an-astronomer.php

Posted

Thanks a ton Irebull ! I'll surely try looking up that page ! All the best !

Posted