Disk Detective Talk

Checked almost every box

• JumpCannon by JumpCannon

But not the good one. I just began to classify. Can someone explain what it is I am seeing.

Posted

• mboschmd by mboschmd moderator

1. Multiple objects inside red circle 2) In W3 and W4 what you're seeing is nearby objects that emit far more light flux at 12µm (W3) and 22µm (W4) than the object of interest. This is severely Extended / Contaminated in those wavelengths (passbands, or bands for short). The contamination is from 2 nearby objects. They overwhelm the detector and drown out the object's contribution to light flux at those bands. It looks similar to "Moves off cross-hairs, but not exactly the same...if you follow the brightest area back to your object, they look connected by a "tail". So for true "moves off crosshairs", you'd see a clear space between the two instead of this monster with a tail. We call this "Extension shifting". It's not true shifting, so don't hit that button. Just use Extended to describe the whole mess as explained below.*

You do not have to go into great detail in Comments like I just did as a teaching exercise. Just say, "very #extended" in your comment. Only #hashtag is as #extended, just as I did...don't include descriptors like very, severely,etc in your hashtag....keep hashtags short and sweet...the shorter, the better. One major exception - don't #hashtag the word SIMBAD all by itself because it's worthless. If there's no astronomical object and you want to make a note of that in Comments (Talk) then just hashtag #NoSIMBAD or even better, #NoAO.

In summary, the Buttons you'd use would be Multiple Objects and Extended. That's it! Just those two buttons to decribe this whole mess. If there was empty black space between the cross-hairs and the brightness, then you would also use the Object Moves off Crosshairs button (we call it Shifting for short and would hastag #Shifting inTalk for True shifting only. There's six other types of shifting, but I won't go into that now. You miight want to read the first few page of our Advanced Vetting One because they're helpful for beginners. Also, the last page has Frequently Asked Question (FAQ).

• We don't have Contamination as a choice, so you use Extended for both phenomena. That makes sense since sometimes it's very hard to tell whether is extended, contaminated, or both

Posted