Disk Detective Talk

New to the Zooniverse

• Seanderman by Seanderman

My first classification without the tutorial and I already feel like I'm overthinking it. Any assistance would be most appreciated. My concerns are with the initial DSS2 image (no clear "roundness" to object) and with the 2MASS and WISE portions. Object appears to remain within the red circle, but is the object supposed remain centered on the cross-hair or merely touch it? I noted some minor shifts away from the cross-hair in the 2MASS and initial WISE images. Many thanks!

Posted

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

Sorry that you had to wait so long for an answer to your question. First welcome to the the exciting world of Disk Detective or as I call it the Disk Side of Zooniverse. For the next few that you classify post a comment so it is known what you think you see. It will help with any suggestions that the moderators will extend to you. Going by your statement above ;you see that it is not round and some shifting. Using the Images I not see #multiples in more than two images; even though the hump in the SED tells me to take a very close look at the images to see there are faint objects inside the circle. There is shifting between DSS AND 2MASS , WISE. I attribute this shifting to the observational instrument plus the crosshairs are still on the target. Since there are no reference stars on the plate after the shift I must conclude as stated. Shifting is tricky ,the star can shift off or remain on the cross hairs depends on if you have a reference or not. Aiming error shifting in this case. Last but not least let us discuss #not round. You are correct to say that the target is not round which could explain the hump in the SED, how you might ask. When you feel comfortable classify and classify 300 or more and wish to learn more about the reasons for the relationship of Images and SED shape you can request to become a blackbelt classifier. By the observations that you have listed it wont be long before you join the super users. If you classify something incorrectly , no worry ; each target is looked at 6 times or more before it is retired. Investigating further I find this target to be a #V* of unspecified type and also a possible companion within .0147 arcmin of the target which its proper motion is high. Got a question? ask and welcome, thankyou for your time

Posted