Disk Detective Talk

SED reading

• Jbreit01 by Jbreit01

Can someone help me to understand this SED?

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to Jbreit01's comment.

Here is the blog about SED https://blog.diskdetective.org/2015/02/15/examples-of-seds/

Posted

• Jbreit01 by Jbreit01

I have already read that blog and printed copies of the charts, then read further with various sources on the web. I have found nothing where the readings from DSS2-2MASS K falls above 1.00 micron in the chart. I found one chart that would indicate that this is a YSO, but only in basic lineup of the data points. Am I too black and white?

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator in response to Jbreit01's comment.

I also have read a number of external sources and I found it quite difficult to find similar charts like those on DD. For this object, a number of catalogues from VizieR, like the one TED91 referred to, indicate that it is a YSO. Another characteristic of YSOs is strong Hα emission. Hα emission-line stars in M42 (Pettersson+, 2014) from VizieR

Posted

• Jbreit01 by Jbreit01

Ok. Thanks for the additional information. Perhaps with SED charts that are outliers I should look at the basic lineup of the data points if there is no SIMBAD or VizieR data which indicates that it is an emission-line star. I have found many good candidates which are not yet classified in the catalogues.

Posted

• TED91 by TED91 moderator in response to Jbreit01's comment.

Hi Jbreit01,
    everything indicated that this is indeed an YSO, even the SED.

About the SED:
    You should pay attention to its shape, rather than its values. Values can vary from many reasons, and if you want to know what kind of object it is, they aren't as important as its shape.
    As you'll see more and more objects, you'll find out that SED plots vary in many ways. Don't focus on values. Just decide whether it looks more like a straight line (early type star), "V" shape (galaxies), almost flat line (QSOs), or if it's similar to some other examples.
    In addition, we can't forget about contamination and blends with other objects. Additional background objects can mess up with SED.

Posted