Disk Detective Talk

inquiring mind

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

If we were searching for stars in the southern hemisphere; what category would this star be and how would I look it up?

Posted

looking at SED it appears to be subgaint IV ;where do I confirm this?

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to onetimegolfer's comment.

Not a star, when you are searching in the catalogs don't forget to change the target dimensions to 2 "arcsec"

Posted

Thankyou but could you source this for me further?

Posted

I know the SED does not look like a star but:

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to onetimegolfer's comment.

You can search in VIZIER with the WISE ID J030543.13+103750.4 or the coordinates 46.4297211 10.6306877 that appear in SIMBAD. Try this, see the different catalogs. and tell me how it goes. 😃

Posted

I got a star within 116. of this location by clicking "other things around this location" at the top of targets VizieR page. Coordinates are the same in both (VizieR & query Simbad on VizieR page) now what? That is what Im questioning so hard. The catalogue was II/328/Allwise

Posted

I have gotten nothing on quite a few and left it at #noAO

Posted

I look at it like this: You have got an image of it ; there must be something there if only BGR

Posted

If you select "other things around this location", the object that is shown may be far from what we're seeing here. In 116 arcsec the object is not on the interface screen

Posted

All righty that answered that: No Simbad means NO Simbad no further is advisable. thankyou. I got over zealous with VizieR. Im just glad I am learning how to search.

Posted

I would like to know what UvS stands for. I have read for two days and still cannot find the definition. And Pini2013 I am getting better at finding things ; Im just slow about it right now.

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex moderator

UvS stands for Ultra-violet source

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator

I was almost sure of that meaning, but thanks for the confirmation 😃

Posted

Great!!! We are all learning more and more everyday 😃

Posted

Many thanks for the support; now what type of target (goodcandidate?) emits these UvS ? Our own sun emits Uv rays so therefore that would not be a disqualifying factor; correct? The target on this page is not the target I have in mind. AWI00001i9 is.Im doing a deep search for this target to learn by and not much info since around 2000ad. Southern Hemisphere I think.

Posted

The following is from the Wikipedia article on Ultra-violet astronomy: " Most stars are actually relatively cool objects emitting much of their electromagnetic radiation in the visible or near-infrared part of the spectrum. Ultraviolet radiation is the signature of hotter objects, typically in the early and late stages of their evolution. If we could see the sky in ultraviolet light, most stars would fade in prominence. We would see some very young massive stars and some very old stars and galaxies, growing hotter and producing higher-energy radiation near their birth or death." So as I understand it, most good candidates would not emit much UV.

Posted

Eureka thanks I never thought to look in Wikipedia ; thanks for the comment.

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

This is a great place to look up abbreviations like: QSO, ERO etc. http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/help/faq5.html#5j
    Also I have asked the NED team about UvS and they gave me this reply :

UvS = Ultraviolet Source

That means that there was a detection of a source
    by a telescope sensitive to the Ultraviolet. This
    source has not yet been cross-identified with a
    galaxy or a galactic star or whatever. All that
    we know about it at this time is that it was detected
    in the UV.

Posted

I've noticed that many objects in the Disk Detective images that have a SED suggestive of a quasar/AGN are also UV sources

Posted

wow I have stirred up a hornet's nest of information. I have not found one target yet with the right SED pattern for our study as of yet listed as an UvS. If I do I will post. Thanks for the NED location

Posted

• Pini2013 by Pini2013 translator, moderator in response to voyager1682002's comment.

Yes, this objects were not studied yet. Otherwise Ned gives you the cross-identifications in the references.

Posted

AWI00003zf listed in NED as UvS with a SED within acceptability but visual truly shows a problem (binary?) or other type of target.

Posted

It's a blend, two objects. We are not following these.

Posted

• delete_228c6d5c by delete_228c6d5c

yep

Posted