DSS2 IR image

• onetimegolfer by onetimegolfer

Rip in space-time continuum?

Posted

Where is a moderator when you need them?LOL

Posted

• Vinokurov by Vinokurov moderator

Maybe some impurity on the photographic plate. Like here: http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/boards/BWI0000009/discussions/DWI00000ot

Posted

• TED91 by TED91 moderator

I agree with Vinokurov. You can find all kinds of crazy things in DSS images. They are usually a piece of dust or scratches on the original photographic glass plates.

Posted

Thanks guys was sorti kidding about rip but the amount of elevated luminious and you can see pin-point stars near its "rip edges" brought on the curiosity as to the image.

Posted

• DNiergarth by DNiergarth

I tend to line up behind Vinokurov. I've seen a lot of objects on the DSS intruding onto one of the frames, just like this one. Mostly they are roundish and obscure a small part of the image. This one is different in that there is radiation appearing to preferentially outline the phenom and I don't recall seeing that occur before. Cool find!

Posted

• marckuchner by marckuchner scientist, admin

That looks to me like a big old scratch on the photographic plate. But it does inspire the imagination---

Posted

A deliberate act; to block-out another target A to be able to see with-out interference another target B : etc blocking the sun's center to see the corona?

Posted

• lrebull by lrebull scientist, translator, admin

Yes, there are things called coronographs that block out the star light to see, e.g., the faint disk around them. This isn't that, though...

Posted

• Shigeru by Shigeru moderator

The "blob" has a shape too irregular, seems like a scratch as Marc says, but interesting neverless, could be cool to find out the cause,

Posted

• voyager1682002 by voyager1682002 moderator

A scratch by a sharp object such as finger nail, a scratch under high pressure, etc, just imagining 😃

Posted