Disk Detective Talk

Sudden drop in SED curve.

• Artman40 by Artman40

The SED curve of this object makes a sudden drop in about 3µm for some reason. Why?

Posted

• lrebull by lrebull scientist, translator, admin

Good question. I suspect that something is wrong with that particular data point (the one that is way too low).

Posted

• Vinokurov by Vinokurov moderator

Keep in mind that points to the Small Magellanic Cloud.

Posted

• Artman40 by Artman40

Even if that's the case, the light curve would still look weird.

Posted

• lrebull by lrebull scientist, translator, admin

Right, extra brightness from stars in the LMC will push points up in the SED, not down. (Also "light curve" usually refers to how things change with time, which also could matter here since the WISE data were taken recently and the POSS data were taken 50 years ago, but we're not making a light curve for you; we're making an SED for you. And, here, it's just WISE 1 that seems to be low; if it were really intrinsic source variability doing this, then the other WISE bands should be doing similar low things, and they're not...)

Posted

• anoxie by anoxie

I'm a liitle confused here, this SED is consistent with the 2MASS data and the AllWISE data. 2MASS data were collected at the end of the 90's and the AllWISE data recently.

I don't think there is the POSS data taken 50 years ago.

That said the pb may come from the 2MASS fluxes. If you get fluxes from he IRSF point source catalog (with a better sensitivity and resolution), you get a more coherent SED...

and the basic flagging remains useful: #multiple , even though i don't think it's the pb here.

Posted