Disk Detective Talk

2MASS H and K Images appear saturated

• uvagomes by uvagomes

What does it mean when the 2MASS K and H images get an almost Tye-Dye look to them. I am not sure if this fits the "Not Round in 2MASS" image classification or not. To me i think it is a good candidate but I am only about %60 confident.

Posted

• abans by abans scientist, moderator

The tie dye look is actually because the 2MASS images are filled with noise, like static on a TV set. Sometimes noise can be from actual background objects, sometimes from the detector itself. In the case of 2MASS images the dominant noise contribution comes from the detectors (i.e. the ccds of the cameras) on the telescopes.

Check back with our blog soon! We will be explaining the different types of noise in astronomical images!

Posted

• abans by abans scientist, moderator

p.s. so that means you shouldn't believe any "structure" that is on the same level of brightness as the tie-dye noise streams

Posted

• uvagomes by uvagomes

Thanks for the reply. So i am going with "Good Candidate" then for images like these in the future. Just trying to get it right so it helps you guys in the end, thanks for the info.

Posted

• biggsjrex by biggsjrex moderator

This image looks good, but does the SED suggest something other than a star- a quasar, maybe?

Posted

• jdebes by jdebes scientist, admin

Yes, the SED is not the "typical" debris disk style SED, and so my bias would be to suggest galaxy. That said, some YSOs can have 2MASS and WISE SEDs that look very flat.

Posted