Disk Detective Talk

only round objects = good candidates?

• eugenius by eugenius

Perhaps I am missing something but a round object could be a debris disc but only if the disk is in the plane of the sky.
    If it is inclined by less than 90 degs to the line of sight, it should look elliptical, just as a spiral galaxy does when not
    seen fully in the plane of the sky.

Posted

• eugenius by eugenius

I have been interpreting the "object moves off the cross-hair" to mean that the object is not well-centered on the cross-hair in all
    the images. As a consequence, nearly were rated "none of the above/good candidate." Perhaps a little more discussion as to
    what being off cross-hair means. Also the non-round category is a bit fuzzy. Probably there are seeing distortions. Please sharpen up the categories in these questions!

Posted

• abans by abans scientist, moderator

Some of your questions can be answered by going to the science page under menu, and/or by checking out our blog. You can also take a look at this earlier discussion:

http://talk.diskdetective.org/#/boards/BWI0000003/discussions/DWI00000a3?page=1&comment_id=52ec2f81f11e0435a1001da5

Basically, all these objects are so far away, that the ring/extended shape you might expect from a Debris Disk wouldn't be resolved in these images. Really we see them as point sources (star enshrouded by dust), so they are roundish despite the angle we are really viewing the system at.

Posted

• eugenius by eugenius in response to abans's comment.

OK, your response re the roundness means that you have weeded out the closer ones,
    so we are not expected to see aspect in the remaining ones, I suppose.
    I am still not sure about the cross-hair centered business. At some WLs,
    many (most of those I have seen so far) are greatly off-center; are such cases to be ignored,
    and only images offset by more than an image diameter to be rated as moving off the cross-hair?

Posted

• lrebull by lrebull scientist, translator, admin

What matters the most is if it moves off the crosshair within a survey. If all the WISE bands are lined up, even if they are off the crosshair, and there's no 2nd source at that position in the shorter wavelengths, you're probably ok.

Posted

• eugenius by eugenius

OK, thanks; that provides some guidance on the issue.

Posted